PDA

View Full Version : Karan and SRK release a newer version of My Name is Khan for Non-NRI Audience

~Gauri~
02-19-2010, 05:41 AM
By Subhash K Jha

This summer, My Name Is Khan (MNIK) will be playing for a non-NRI audience in theatres across the US. The version of MNIK that American audiences will get to see will be different from the one released so far in India and overseas for NRI audiences.

Confirms Shah Rukh Khan, “Yes, we are cutting down the length of the film for the American audience. Their requirements are different from the traditional audience for Hindi cinema. We’re in this way extending the life span of a Hindi film with first a worldwide release for Indian audiences and then phased out releases for non-Indian audiences.”

Says the film director Karan Johar, “Yes, the version for Americans will be shorter though not radically different. We’ve left the American version’s editing to the film’s editor Deepa Bhatia. She understands what would be palatable to American audiences. She has edited films for everyone, from me to Govind Nihalani.”

Karan admits it’s not the songs nor the length that will determine the shape and size of the American version of MNIK. “The first thing we heard from the American market is that they love the songs. So the songs stay. Deepa Bhatia is looking at what to remove.”

» §hani «
02-19-2010, 11:13 AM
hmmm i wonder if they cut scenes for just the american release...well I guess Aus got wat the americans got...I hope too much wasn't cut out lol

ratika
02-19-2010, 03:50 PM
if they had to release the shorter version for Americans then why did they cut it out for us...?

~mEeRa~
02-19-2010, 03:54 PM
^Yeah, they should have included *everything* in the first version! Grrr!
Anyway, I'm interested to see what they cut out here!

~Gauri~
02-19-2010, 05:54 PM
i hope they add the riz-mandira scenes and trim 2nd half haha

~mEeRa~
02-19-2010, 05:59 PM
^Yeah, what they should have done in the first place :rolleyes: LOL
Now that Karan's got feedback, hopefully he'll realise that the romantic scenes were actually the strongest in the film!

gimini
02-19-2010, 06:06 PM
it'll be great to watch the full version:lol:

» §hani «
02-19-2010, 08:10 PM
I am dying to see the cut scenes incorporated into the movie...that would be awesome!

zikosakira
02-20-2010, 02:30 PM
this cutin stuf us realy sicke, whay cuting some kajol scenne karan whay?

avggomez
02-20-2010, 06:41 PM
we should have got the whole movie unedited... i dtn care hw long we need to sit through it.. after all itwas RIZ-Many scenes were cut... :( even if it was 3 hours i wud have still sat through it...

» §hani «
02-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Even if it was more than 4 hours I think we coulda managed sitting thru it LOL if it meant we could see more of Kajol!...but I don't think western people would have dealt with it well lol

mj_l.o.v.e
02-21-2010, 10:21 AM
MUMBAI: This summer "My Name Is Khan" will be playing for a non-NRI audience in theatres across the US.

And the version of "MNIK" that American audiences will get to see will be different from the original film released so far in India and overseas for the NRI audiences. Shah Rukh Khan confirms this decision to shorten the film for American audiences.

"Yes, we are cutting the length of the film for the American audience. Their requirements are different from the traditional audience for Hindi cinema. We're in this way extending the life span of a Hindi film with first a worldwide release for Indian audiences and then phased out releases for non-Indian audiences," he told media.

Film director Karan Johar said: "Yes, the version for Americans will be shorter though not radically different. We've left the American version's editing to the film's editor Deepa Bhatia. She is experienced and versatile enough to understand what would be palatable to the American audiences. Deepa has worked on feature films as well as documentaries. She's edited films for everyone from me to Govind Nihalani."

Karan admits it's not the songs nor the length that will determine the shape and size of the American version of "MNIK". "The first thing we heard from the American market is, we love the songs. So the songs stay. Deepa Bhatia is looking at what to remove."

summer when the film releases for a non-diaspora audience in the US, Shah Rukh, Karan and Kajol will be in the country for the American premiere.

"We're committed to our American producers Fox-Star to take the film to the US and any other part of the world where it will be screened in whichever avatar," Karan said.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/media/entertainment-/entertainment/Now-a-shortened-version-of-MNIK-for-US/articleshow/5596731.cms

omgggg.....hope this means more srkajol picsssss.... :pray: :pray:

~mEeRa~
02-21-2010, 10:54 AM
OMG YAAAY! More SRKajol stuff to look forward too :yay: I was just beginning to get depressed thinking that there might not be any more :(( lol

Kajolnsrkfan
02-21-2010, 11:32 AM
MUMBAI: This summer "My Name Is Khan" will be playing for a non-NRI audience in theatres across the US.
......summer when the film releases for a non-diaspora audience in the US, Shah Rukh, Karan and Kajol will be in the country for the American premiere.

"We're committed to our American producers Fox-Star to take the film to the US and any other part of the world where it will be screened in whichever avatar," Karan said.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/media/entertainment-/entertainment/Now-a-shortened-version-of-MNIK-for-US/articleshow/5596731.cms

omgggg.....hope this means more srkajol picsssss.... :pray: :pray:So does this mean there will be more promotions for the film in the US and Kajol & Shahrukh will also be there :yay: That'll be great!!!!!!!!:hurray:

But I'm still feel depressed because I'm being deprived of all the Kajol & Shahrukh scenes which they earlier use to promote the film yet were cut out from the film itself :((

~Gauri~
02-21-2010, 02:35 PM
ohhhhhhh my god! PLEASE let it be a nyc premiere so i can go! :lol:

ratika
02-21-2010, 03:52 PM
YAY..!!! Guyzz More of Srkajol coming up with KKHH and this one too....HURAAAYYY!!!

June82
02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
hmm, don't know what to think of it...
I thought the reason they cut out some srkajol scenes which btw the NRI would have loved, Im sure, was that they wanted to appeal to a broader audience and that for the same reason the film was only 2:30 hours long and now they are saying that they are going to even shorten this version? So, why not release a 3+ hour movie in the first place, I am sure that would have been easily possible.
Besides weren't they talking about reaching bigger audiences for indian movies? So what is the sense in editing the movies differently?! This is the way the movie was planned out and therefore needs to be like that, why change it, just so the Americans who normally don't like hindi films will like it? This clearly states this is just about making money, not about giving indian films a better chance to be seen as the beautiful films that they are like Karan and SRK proclaimed! I don't like it! But what to do, money rules the world...

askprincess_askme
03-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Well, that's great! I hope I will be watching the uncut version! :deg: :deg:

~Gauri~
05-08-2010, 02:03 AM
The new version has been released at the Angelika Film Center in NY

http://angelikafilmcenter.com/angelika_film.asp?hID=1&ID=34602w7.4042570499x9j7ra4.22

I'm hoping to go see it sometime next week!!

» §hani «
05-08-2010, 02:13 AM
oh nice! I wonder what scenes they cut lol u can tell us Gauri :) I hope not too many of the Srkajol love >.<

zikosakira
05-08-2010, 08:10 AM
I hope they dident' Shani....All SRKAJOL seannce are fantastice...they can't cut it

Ishq17
05-09-2010, 12:00 AM
This is so exciting, I hope it releases somewhere near me :pray: